Programmed cell death is a complex process that requires the activation and / or deactivation of various biological mechanisms. Although this type of cell death has been described in detail in multicellular organisms, in protozoan parasites there are many signaling pathways that need to be scrutinized.
For this reason, the line of investigación of Ricardo´s doctoral research has focused on identifying molecules that function inducing signals of death and which serve as a self-regulation mechanism of the P. falciparum parasite population under stress conditions. Extracellular vesicles are key in the transmission of these signals, as well as for carrying other molecules, such as volatile compounds that may participate in the attraction of mosquitoes when the parasite’s life cycle is ready for vector collection.
Ricardo also participates in studies that seek to characterize the mechanical properties of the biocrystal haemozoin by isolating the digestive vacuole of P. falciparum, and he is also adventuring in the search of natural antimalarial products. Additionally, he actively collaborates with research related to other infectious pathogens, such as Mycobacterium tuberculosis, Toxoplasma gondii and Trypanosoma cruzi.
- Ricardo Correa, Lorena Coronado, Zuleima Caballero, Paula Faral, Carlos Robello, Carmenza Spadafora. Extracellular vesicles carrying lactate dehydrogenase induce suicide in increased population density of Plasmodium falciparum in vitro. Scientific Reports. DOI : 10.1038/s41598-019-41697-x. In Press.
- Nicole M. Tayler; Cristopher A. Boya A Boya; Liuris Herrera; Jamie Moy; Michelle Ng; Laura Pineda; Alejandro Almanza; Sara Rosero; Lorena M. Coronado; Ricardo Correa; Ricardo Santamaría; Zuleima Caballero; Armando A Durant-Archibold; Kevin J Tidgewell; Marcy J Balunas; William H Gerwick; Alida Spadafora; Marcelino Gutierrez; Carmenza Spadafora. Analysis of the antiparasitic and anticancer activity of the Coconut Palm (Cocos nucifera L. ARECACEAE) from the Natural Reserve of Punta Patiño, Darién. PLoS One. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0214193. In Press.
- Ricardo Correa, Lorena M. Coronado, Anette C. Garrido, Armando A. Durant-Archibold, Carmenza Spadafora: Volatile organic compounds associated with Plasmodium falciparum infection in vitro. Parasites & Vectors 12/2017; 10(1)., DOI:10.1186/s13071-017-2157-x.
- Acosta F, Chernyaeva E, Mendoza L, Sambrano D, Correa R, Rotkevich M, Tarté M, Hernández H, Velazco B, de Escobar C, de Waard JH, Goodridge A. Mycobacterium bovis in Panama, 2013. Emerg Infect Dis. 2015 Jun;21(6). doi: 10.3201/eid2106.141821.
- Lorena M. Coronado, Stephania Montealegre, Zumara Chaverra, Luis Mojica, Carlos Espinosa, Alejandro Almanza, Ricardo Correa, José A. Stoute, Rolando A. Gittens, Carmenza Spadafora. Blood Stage Plasmodium falciparum Exhibits Biological Responses to Direct Current Electric Fields. PLoS One, 11, e0161207.
- Dilcia Sambrano, Ricardo Correa, Pedro Almengor, Amada Domínguez, Silvio Vega, Amador Goodridge. Mycobacterium tuberculosis Isolates from Single Outpatient Clinic in Panama City Exhibit Wide Genetic Diversity.The American journal of tropical medicine and hygiene (Impact Factor: 2.53). 05/2014; DOI:10.4269/ajtmh.14-0134.
- Amador Goodridge, Ricardo Correa, Paul Castro, Cecilia Escobar, Jacobus H de Waard. Serum samples can be substituted by plasma samples for the diagnosis of paratuberculosis. Preventive Veterinary Medicine. 07/2013; DOI:10.1016/j.prevetmed.2013.06.011
- Correa, R., Cedeno, I., de Escobar, C., Fuentes, I., Increased Urban Seroprevalence of Toxoplasma gondii infecting swine in Panama. Veterinary Parasitology. 06/2008; 153(1-2):9-11. DOI:10.1016/j.vetpar.2008.01.017
Correa R., Cedeño I., Cortes JG., Calderon R., Ricas-Santiago B., Maes M., De Waard J. Evaluation Of The Detection Of Mycobacterium Tuberculosis With The Polymerase Chain Reaction In Five Laboratories In Latin America. Acta Científica. Acta Científica Venezolana 02/2008; 59((1-2)): 25-28.
Ricardo Correa is the epitome of a researcher, with persistence, objectivity, perspective and endless curiosity. He has a gifted mind and an enthralling personality. He can talk as easily about literature as he does about philosophy. And then science….without limits for its possibilities. This team would not be so successful without him. Salud!